Thursday, September 2, 2010

Songs and Chocolate Milk

My children go to an in-home daycare right across the street from where Greg and I work. We love it and the gal (Veronica) that takes care of them. Gwen has been with Veronica since she was 8 weeks old and their family is practically a part of ours. I try and make a point of going over on every lunch break and visiting the kids. This has allowed me to nurse both of them longer than I would have probably been able to do otherwise and helps alleviate some of the guilt I feel for working (though I truly love working).

I sit in a bedroom downstairs and rock Garrison, while Gwen and I sing a variety of silly songs as she hops around the bedroom. Truly, with our soaring voices and meaningful lyrics, it’s a wonder we don’t do it for a living. As a sample, here is a song we made up, in praise of the Boppy Pillow, much beloved by Gwen and Me. (sung to the tune of Frère Jacques)

The Boppy Pillow Song
Boppy Pillow, Boppy Pillow
No, No, Yes!
No, No ,Yes!
Boppy, Boppy, Pillow
Boppy, Boppy, Pillow
No, No, Yes
No, No, Yes

Recently, Gwen, while happy to leave us in the morning, has been ready to go home at lunch instead of the normal 4:00-5:00 departure time. This has lead to a few tears and tantrums as I’ve left the house. Today looked like it was going to be more of the same. I was bending down to hug her goodbye and made the mistake of telling her we were going to the mountains this weekend and I’d be back for her in a couple of hours.

I go to mountains NOW!!!” Gwen said forcefully.

No baby, I have to go back to work, and THEN we’ll go. You need to sit down and eat your chicken taquitos.” (the child eats better than I do – that whole family is a group of amazing cooks.)

No! NOW! I gooooo NOW Mommeeeee” The waterworks began.

Veronica, thinking quickly asked. “Hey Gwen, you want some chocolate milk?

N-... Wait.” Her eyebrows furrowed as her mind worked quickly. Then, “ BYE MOMMY!!!” She sprung of my lap and hopped into the kitchen.

At moments like that I am very happy to be replaced by a glass of chocolate milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment