Friday, August 27, 2010

My New Van

It was the dreaded decision, the one I'd been putting off for years that was thrust upon me in the face of a rather sad transmission diagnosis from our Impala.

It was time for a newer car.

And my husband has always loved minivans.

I could hear the Jaws music start up:

Daaaa Dummm

The conversations began, the bargaining ensued. I wanted a nice crossover, he set the bid low with a 99 Windstar. I said a Chrysler Pacifica (any year!), he counterbid with a 2004 Freestar. The purple minivan caught my eye, but it was old...back and forth, back and forth.

Daaa Dumm

We test drove all sorts of cars, driving to the nether regions of our metropolitan region trying to find something we could agree on that wasn't completely beat to hell. I test drove exactly one van, that's how excited I was in this quest. After much searching, we saw an ad on Craigslist for a 2005 Town and Country in reasonable shape.

Daa Dum


An older couple had owned it, no small children involved, it had only been used to drive to and from Florida and was in near perfect condition.

Da Dum Da Dum

We test drove it, it was perfect. Our daughter loved it and I gave it the half 'meh' instead of vehement NO.

Da Dum Da Dum Da Dum

The stow-and-go seats were something akin to an Act of Magic which impressed both of us and seriously clouded our judgment.

Da Dum Da Dum Da Dum Da Dum

Greg looked under the hood to find all was well, and offered $300 lower than the asking price just for the heck of it.

Dadumdadumdadumdadumdadum

And the guy accpeted.

DWEEEEEDLEEEEDUMMMM!!!!!!!

And so now we own a grey 2005 Chrysler Town and Country. With that purchase, any remaining vestiges of my cool youth went flying out the very large, rolling door. I get the fact that my image shouldn't be wrapped up in my car. I have happily driven old, well-taken care of beaters without worrying about it. But those were all cars or SUV's. Not THIS.


So it's more pride swallowing and more embracing of this whole culture known as motherhood. I suppose the minivan comes with it and grudgingly admit that there ARE nice features, I could have just lived without them driving my Ford Explorer for the rest of my life.

All the while remaining 'cool'.

This is Koomala, sucking it up and signing out to hang my groceries on the little grocery-bag hangers while 'stowing and going' my seats.



P.S. Was Jaws not the scariest movie EVER? I STILL get the heebiejeebies when I'm in the water, and I live in a completely land-locked STATE!

No comments:

Post a Comment