Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Tough Job

Vacation has taken on a different meaning. This past weekend, we were up in the mountains for a quick break before life gets crazy hectic again with school. It was a great time with friends and family. It involved walks, a day on my dad’s sailboat, great food and catching up on some movies. However, in all that I was still up with Garrison and/or Gwen nearly every night and was fairly tired during the day. One morning in particular stands out.

Both kids had stuffy noses, so they weren’t really sleeping incredibly well. They both were also in the room with us in their pack-n-plays so I could hear every single squeak, ensuring a lack of sleep altogether (Greg has no problems with sleeping, usually).

Saturday morning, Garrison was up at 4:30, coughing and sniffling. I got up, cleaned out his nose and nursed him. During this, I realized his back was really wet…which turned out to be a completely blown-out diaper. Ugh. I hate those. I especially hate those first thing in the morning. When he was done nursing, I laid him down and started changing him, making no effort to be quiet as I figured it was time for Greg to wake up anyways. I may or may not have also unnecessarily jostled the bed a bit. Garrison was THRILLED. His happy squeals and squeaks woke up not only Greg, but also Gwen, so I grabbed her, sang a loud Good Morning Song (again, for Greg’s benefit), carried her to our bed where Greg was, and went to wash my hands.

At which point Gwen sneezed, blowing out all the snot that had apparently gathered in her nostrils during the night. I trotted back to the bathroom and grabbed a Kleenex. Snot was all over my hands when THAT clean-up was over. So I went back to the bathroom to wash my hands yet again. Greg set to work changing Gwen, and as I came back out of the bathroom to give her a kiss…stepped right on her open, wet diaper that Greg had left (for inexplicable reasons) open on the floor.

It’s a rare occasion when I get so grossed out before 6am. It was like the kids were attacking me with bioweapons, or I was being punished by the Universe for waking Greg.

After all that, it was into the shower for me to detoxify a bit before grabbing coffee and even thinking about breakfast.

I love being a mom, but some days it’s a fairly disgusting job.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment