Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Pantry Project Continues...

I've discovered why my pantry is so full.

We don't actually EAT 7 dinners a night at our house. Between generous friends and really cheap pizza deals, we eat at home more like 3-4 times a week. While I CAN say that we still eat around the dinner table together as a family no matter what it is we're eating...we just aren't (right now) eating a lot from home.

Lest you judge me TOO quickly, that's not to say it's always been like this. Indeed, before Garrison was born I had considered myself quite the cook! However over the past two months the earth has shifted dramatically under our feet and we have fallen into some occasionally bad habits. I'm addicted to caffeine and sugar in amazing quantities and don't cook as much. Nothing irreparable, I just am not going to tackle it right now. Not having had a decent nights sleep for 10 weeks does strange things to your motivation in general. I'm thinking by August my little determined child MAY be sleeping through the night. But by typing those words I have probably jinxed the probability of that happening.

So, the pantry project continues and we are seriously saving some cash on groceries! This week we had beans and rice, leftovers, sale bread with the beans and rice, and soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. There was oatmeal with craisins and slivered almonds every morning with toast and oranges in our lunch. Lunch consisted mostly of leftovers with one occasion of going out to eat Vietnamese soup (Pho). I'd like to pick up some more crystal lite drink mix but am starting to think that the artificial sweeteners may have been causing some of Garrison's colic. He's much happier now with me on water.

I'm slowly getting my life back under control little project by little project. This week I completely cleaned out my desk, purged a bunch of junk and set it back up. I have a whiteboard with a list of ongoing things I want to accomplish. Greg cleaned the house top-to-bottom for me last weekend and at work I was able to put my long list of things to do both in my calendar as well as in my excel 'ToDo' list I created. We still aren't eating in every night, but life is coming back around to manageable levels.

2 comments:

  1. There's no way to make a big change if you don't start with little changes. I was eating out almost every day and it was getting ridiculously expensive. Now it's time for some cutbacks, even if it is a total pain in the you know what :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! My first comment! :) Thanks Annah.

    Agreed, sometimes little changes are all you have energy for. Especially when it's something like eating out. I'm currently weaning myself off the 3 cups of caffinated coffee I've mysteriously become hooked on. Lest I spontaneously combust, I'm trickling some decaf into my feed rather than going cold-turkey.

    ReplyDelete