Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Breastfeeding - Equipment

So, if you have decided to give breastfeeding in the workplace a go – here is what you need to start with. Before, or just after you have your baby.

• Your baby.
Ha! Obviously this is a prerequisite…however, also a slight warning. Don’t start pumping before your little one is born. Seriously. I thought about it too and after researching it found out it’s a fairly terrible, fruitless idea which would, at best, deprive your baby of your amazing colostrum and much-needed nutrients and immune system boosters. Wait until your milk comes in. This will be about 3 days after your baby is born.


• A good double-style breastpump.
I have used Medela and like them. I haven't used anything else and so can’t speak to it one way or the other, but by all means do some research. Also, with Gwen, I did all my pumping with a *gasp* barely used breastpump.

I know, buying used breast pumps is not only not recommended, it’s sort of taboo. My view is that, if money is an issue, it’s better for you to pump with a good pump you can afford, rather than not at all. With my used pump, I cleaned it up really well (I also knew the lady I was buying it from), and used it solid for 7 months. Nothing strange happened to Gwen and I didn’t have any problems. There are LOTS of women (you may end up being one of them) who went gung ho and bought breast pumps and hardly used them due to unfortunate circumstances with post-partum depression, pain, mastitis, or any other myriad of excellent reasons. You can capitalize on that if you need to.

With Garrison, as I had ‘proven’ that I could do it, we spent the money and bought the pump-in-style breastpump with the small backpack. It cost us $235.

Search for the best deal, take a couple weeks and REALLY look around on the web before buying.

• Lanisoh brand lanolin.
This comes in purple tubes and is one of the few areas I’m stubborn on. DO NOT ACCEPT OR TRY SUBSTITUTES. Don’t even bother with any other nipple creams. Total waste of time. The tubes last forever and will really help you out. Love the lanolin. Make sure you have this on hand before giving birth. This should be in your hospital bag.


• Breast Pads.
Again, here I use Lanisoh brand and am not as name-brand loyal here. I just find that in general, these pads don’t get as bunchy with repeated folding down and up, down and up throughout the day. I did try cotton and found that I leaked through them like crazy – especially in the beginning. They just didn’t work for me. But, try a few brands out and see what works for you.


• 2 daytime nursing bras, 1 nighttime.
You’re going to want to go to an actual store, sometime towards the end of your pregnancy (or just after giving birth if you think you’re up for it), and get fitted for one of these suckers. Seriously. I went from a 36C to a 38DD when nursing. Whatever size you think you are – you probably aren’t. Underwire in general is a big no-no, and I’m a big underwire FAN. I like the girls perfectly round and lifted. However, it will reduce your milk supply and generally not be that comfortable – so forget about underwire for the time being (we will sacrifice many things for our children. Luckily the underwire is just temporary).

The bras I love and use are made by Bravadol. Very comfortable, lots of support, easy to snap and unsnap and no underwire. You can even sleep in them if you’d like – removing the need for a sleeping bra. PLUS, they hide the fact that you may be wearing a terribly bunched nursing pad under there, giving you a smooth appearance. The downside is that they are expensive ($50/bra) BUT, I felt for the comfort and function, it was worth the money. I bought 2 of these and didn’t bother with a night bra.

• Breastmilk Freezer Storage.
Here again, I use Lanisoh brand freezer bags, but you have lots of options. The Lanisoh bags are my favorite because I freeze a neat 6oz at a time, can lay them flat, label them clearly and really store them simply. Plus, the boxes of 25 make it easy for me to keep track of how many ounces I’ve stored. When I’m done with a box, at 6oz per bag, I know I’ve stored 150oz!


• Luxury Item: A couple of nursing tanks.
You don’t HAVE to have them, but I have found that they’re indispensible in the hospital right after you’ve given birth, and for the week or two afterwards when you’re getting the hang of things. I love them and would recommend spending the money on Glamourmom Nursing tanks (I prefer the long ones).

I have also found Target’s version to be good (order online as they’re not in stores) – though if you have a long torso like me (I’m 5”9’) you’re going to find Target’s brand a little on the short side.

I also bought KomfyKangaroo nursing tanks because of their affordability. However, these were my LEAST favorite. They ran REALLY small, were full of complicated snaps and such, and just didn’t work for me in the least. In their favor, they are more affordable than other tanks. If you go with them, purchase at least one size larger than you usually wear and try one out before purchasing others.

Regardless of the brand, these are great because you can wear these tanks alone, or under pullovers for quick, discreet nursing, especially out in public.


• Luxury Item: Boppy Pillow or other similar product.
I went my whole nursing time with Gwen not having any other pillows than the normal ones you put on the bed. This was not a big deal at all, because I didn’t know anything else. However, with Garrison, I just purchased the Wal-Mart version of the Boppy ($10 cheaper!) and have had many ‘what took my so long to buy you?!’ kinds of moments. You don’t need it – but it is pretty wonderful.

Next Setup

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this - read it on babycenter and then went to your blog. I had been worried about a lot of this stuff. I have to go back to work 2 months after the baby is born, and will be pumpin'. I got the Medela and now I'm really glad! You are a good writer...I wonder if you do this for a living. I guess I should read more of your blog and find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm really glad it helped - I've found there aren't many good books out there for this sort of thing. At least for me, and I read a TON of them.

    Nothing like just diving in...

    No, I don't write for a living, though I wish I did! I work in a big, corporate environment and enjoy writing as an outlet.

    Good luck on the pumping, and feel free to write if you have any problems/questions as you start. Good luck to you and your new family, you're going to have a blast!

    ReplyDelete