Sunday, April 18, 2010

Consistency

I find parenting to be an interesting endeavor. You have a child, who depends on you to make somewhat rational decisions. However, I myself don't always feel fully qualified to be making all the snap decisions I find myself making.

With a second baby on the way in about 4 weeks; Greg and I decided to move Gwen into a toddler bed rather than purchase a second crib. We had the toddler bed already and thought this would be a simple thing after a week or so of adjustment. I decided that with Gwen in the toddler bed and full of new-found freedom, we would not just conveniently lock her in her room at night and naptimes...but rather consistently put her back in bed just like I saw on Nanny911 and SURELY, after some consistency here, Gwen would simply go to sleep when it was time for bed - door open and all.

For those parents who may be reading this blog; stop smirking.

I am constantly amazed at my daughters very pleasant way of stubbornness. There are no tantrums really, no wailing or sobbing, but rather; about 20 times every evening after we put her to bed; she gets up. Again, and again, and again. You say 'it's time for bed' or 'go to bed' and she happily says, 'K!' and trots on back to bed only to revisit in about 1 minute.

Greg is not quite the authoritarian I am, and so he may read her a story, or simply let me deal with it until exasperation kicks in and then he'll shut the door. Which instantly escalates the situation, of course. Occasionally, we have waited 2 and a half hours for her to fall asleep. Sometimes, she goes to sleep right away. There is no real pattern to this bedtime ritual.

I can only think/hope that consistency will continue to be key here, and so I will continue to get my exercise in after 7pm trotting up and down the stairs telling Gwen to go back to bed. As parents, its up to us to decide the best way to handle this situation, but as I stated above; having no prior experience, it's only a guess that this is a good way to deal with it. We haven't done this before, and a shoddy TV show with British Nannies serving as our guides does not necessarily inspire confidence.

Still, confidence will get you further than a ton of self doubt; so tonight, for the 3rd week in a row; we will put Gwen to bed with the door open and begin the ritual all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment